The original ceramic workshop founded in 1942 by Dr. Nejat F. Eczacıbaşı in Kartal, Istanbul, began with the production of tableware and ornaments. Alongside Turkey’s economic development and urbanization, after the war, the facility grew rapidly, focusing more on products such as washbasins and toilets. In 1966 the brand took its current name, VitrA. With a new factory built in 1977 in Bozüyük, Bilecik, and many more to follow, Bozüyük rapidly became VitrA’s main production site. By the 2000s the company was redefining the world of bathrooms as "rational, aesthetic, and equally sensitive", bringing a new concept to the culture of bathrooms. Using the combination of comfort and technology, it transformed bathrooms into living spaces. With a capacity to develop and manufacture a wide range of products, VitrA has always given priority to R&D and international collaborations.