In 1947 a group of technicians including Aldo Bai, Pio Reggiani and Carlo Barassi and a young architect named Marco Zanuso began to experiment with the use of foam rubber and elastic tapes for this furniture brand. Marco Zanuso, the initiator of the operation, was one of the very first architects involved with the system of product industrialization - from application of new materials to new technologies. The first manufacturing and sales team was formed in Milan’s Corso di Porta Vittoria and presented to the public for the first time in 1951, after two years of experimenting. This early contact with a wider audience in the context of an avant-garde artistic event was intensely significant to the company's history, displaying its experimental nature and separating it from its commercial purposes to show its desire to create highly aesthetic and technological products, based on deep research and experimentation. Having won numerous awards and recognitions, many of Arflex’s pieces have made their way into permanent collections at the world’s leading museums. Today the company continues to be renowned for its innovative approach and exploration of new technologies, materials and designs.